Inter-University Disability Issues Association

Frequently Asked Questions

What can I.D.I.A. do for me?

I.D.I.A. provides interested students with information on how to access other resources that may be of help; for example, funding, organization and other disability related supports.

I.D.I.A. provides information about approaches and best practises to disability related academic supports across the province. Please go to the specific university’s website for specific information. You can access these websites through I.D.I.A.’s Useful Links.

What types of disabilities are served by Ontario Universities?

Any disability that would fall under the Human Rights Code guidelines can be served. The following is a brief, but not complete list:

  • Attention Deficit Hyper Activity Disorder
  • Blind, visually impaired
  • Chronic medical conditions (diabetes, heart conditions, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue)
  • Deaf, deaf, deafened, hard of hearing
  • Learning disabilities
  • Mental Health (depression, anxiety disorder, bi-polar disorder)
  • Physical (quadriplegic, paraplegic, repetitive strain injury)

How do out of country students access bursaries for students with disabilities?

Please refer to the following information from the OSAP website regarding Assistance for Students with Disabilities.

What rights am I entitled to as a student with a disability?

Please see the following websites:

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (1981)

Guidelines on Accessible Education, OHRC (2005)

The Ontario Human Rights Code (1981)

The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005)




Please enter your username and password to access the Members area.